Year Twenty-Sixteen will go down in the record books for me, as a year of firsts.
- First year I didn’t work a full-time day job.
- FIRST TIME I SAW AVENGED SEVENFOLD!!!!!!
- I was able to support my household on my writing income for the first time ever.
- I had my first surgery.
- My first hospital stay.
- First time I bought my husband a new car.
- First year my books were available at all vendors.
- Got my first professional website!
- First time I did a writing retreat with a fellow author. Pigeon Forge was awesome, Seraphina Donavan!
- First time I ever drove to meet a reader out of the state of Kentucky. Keyla, going to Alabama by myself was one of the most exciting things I’ve ever done!
- Visited Cleveland for the first time.
- And it was the first time I ever released a stand alone novel.
There were parts of this year that literally brought me to my knees. I lost my grandfather in January of last year, and with that came a lot of sadness, but also relief because he wasn’t suffering anymore. My emergency gallbladder removal was most definitely not planned, neither were the four days in the hospital the surgery required. For the first time since I started posting pre-orders, I was worried I wouldn’t make one because of the surgery. Everything worked out, though. As it always does.
Sketch & Sass
These two books were my first forays into stand alone novels and writing in first person. Some readers loved it, other’s hated it, but I knew I had to do them to try and break my own mold. I get very comfortable in what’s easy for me to do, so I knew this year, and in 2017 I need to break out of my comfort zone. It’s one of the reasons I concluded the Heaven Hill & Rockin’ Country Series’.
I feel like I learned a lot doing these two books, and I’m extremely excited to bring you TRICK in 2017!!!
If 2016 has been a year of firsts, 2017 will be a year of taking chances. I’m starting a completely brand new series, I’m attending my first actual convention in the industry, and I’m going to do my best to not fall back on things that are comfortable for me.
There’ll be more about that in my next blog post, where I let you know what’s coming next year!
What was a first you did? Either good or bad. What do you hope some of your firsts are in 2017?